Last night I read about 3 more love languages---Gifts, Acts of Service and Quality Time.
People who speak the language of gifts are people who like gifts not because of the gift but because of the loving time that it took to think about it and get the gift. In fact, the price of the gift does not even matter. There were some interesting insights in this chapter and I enjoyed reading it.
Acts of Service love language is my main language. I appreciate when people help me and do things for me. These people are of the mindset that they feel loved when someone has taken the time to help them out. The author emphasized that service does not mean slavery. If the service is forced then it is NOT service, it then becomes NOT a choice and is not a love language.
Quality Time love language as with Words of Affirmation has different dialects. You'll have to obtain the book to understand this completely but in a nut shell there are different types of quality time and all are a part of this love language. Keep in mind if you are distracted by other things (cell phone, internet, TV, etc) this is not quality time.
I took a test last night that's in the book too and my main love language is Acts of Service and interestingly enough I have rarely had a partner that has ever spoken to me in this language. I also have two main sub love languages, which are Quality Time and Physical Touch (I know what you're thinking...non-sexual--people) which explains to me why I've most likely gotten along with people who do not speak my main love language.
One thing that was mainly emphasized in this book was to actively listen. To put other distractions away and to actually pay attention to whom you are speaking or interacting with. Shut the TV off, turn off the cell phone, etc. When you do not do this, this is not an act of love. Also, giving your own viewpoint or advice is not an act of love when it is not requested. The author emphasizes to actively listen, which means be quiet and pay attention.
By the time I finished the 3 chapters I was mentally wore out with all the thought provoking insights from the author and almost disliked the book. I knew at that point it was time to set it aside and come back to it later. I recommend reading this one chapter a day. Less is more, so they say.
Good day. Happy listening to those around you.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.